<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Streams. Situated near the bottom of a hill, the Great Window of my home office affords me an evening view of ever-growing rivulets cascading down the newly paved road. It has been monsoon-pouring all day -- except for one light-rain reprieve that got me and the dog out for a five minute walk. The moving water is just deep enough that if you placed a paper sailboat at the top of the hill, it would sail swiftly, and crazily down to the very bottom. There are no dry patches of road (that I can see anyway) which would provide enough friction to stop the sailboat's soggy journey downward. There is so much rain that I this afternoon felt compelled to take a flashlight and peek into the crawl space of our house. Dry as a bone we are pleased to report. One more brownie point for the nuclear physicist (or was he some kind of engineer?) who designed our out-of-place-in-New-England Californian contemporary house. Our Very Dry Californian contemporary house. Not the case of my neighbors all around who have sump pumps going like mad in their Colonial-style houses with basements....

More Streams. Rivulets of soon-to-graduate college seniors have been visiting our office at the State House this week in the hopes of applying their stellar qualifications toward a job that will pay them between 29K-and 35K depending on the mood of the Speaker of the House. The salary (even if they were to get in on the high end) wouldn't pay one year of tuition at the schools they have been attending. For Anna Bloviation's it has been a surreal exercise indeed to be interviewing these candidates no older than the son about to graduate. Most are mere babes and this gives me hope that cosmopolitan, Euro-raised, older-than-he-looks-for-his-age son will blow the babes away. However four of these seniors (the son would I think not have been among them [but I'm subjectively prejudicial...]), have pulled themselves into the final round based on their resumes, presentation, and writing samples. Their final hurdle? Unfortuantely it is Anna Bloviation's.... who by the way would make a really terrible judge on American Idol: "But I like them ALL... Couldn't we just hire them all? How are we going to say no the the others?"

And More Streams. Streams of random thought: The email I'd like to send to an anonymous conservative who used to give me flak about my anti-Bush, where-are-the-WMD's diatribe. The scumbag. Scumbag only because he was so arrogant at the time and relished accusing me of being a whiny liberal. Streams: The news in the New York Times that if one had bought stock in Whole Food Markets back in 1992, one would be doing pretty well for oneself. Yes I did blog about that at one point. Not that I bought any Whole Food Market stock.... Streams: Another Mother's Day spent happily by myself in my dry, comfortable, California sanctuary in the middle of New England -- plowing through books curled up on the couch with pounding rain for music and a lovely Australian shepherd curled up at my feet. Son and daughter in D.C. Hubby in the U.K. I can't think of a better Mother's Day and mind you I love them all dearly.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?