<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Resumes in possession. Whoever the choreographers above may be, they certainly have a most wicked sense of humor.... although more wicked than humor. While the son makes nil headway in terms of finding a job or new apartment in D.C. (at least as far as I know), I have in my possession ten resumes and accompanying cover letters which I received within nano-seconds of having posted the availability of my colleague's Executive Assistant job position. Six of the ten are from graduating college seniors. Here's a taste: Christopher, Rob, Ture, Erinn, Caleb, and Joe all have GPA's 3.5 or higher with a boat-load of work experience and volunteer service to boot. Each sent me professional, tailored, and compelling cover letters along with his/her resume e.g. Caleb wrote:

"I will be graduating in May from XX College with a B.A. in Political Science, with minors in Business Studies and Writing. As noted, your office seeks candidates with strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent organizational abilities, and a sense of humor. As for the verbal skills and the sense of humor, I believe those attributes will be most evident in a meeting or interview, which we can hopefully arrange shortly. My organizational ability is best exemplified by my constant commitment to hold a part-time job or internship while remaining a full-time college student...... To emphasize my writing ability, I’d like to stress that I take tremendous pride in my writing, both creative and academic. Through my varied coursework, I have become an especially versatile writer, adept at adjusting my style to meet the circumstances...."

Christopher's resume, for instance, has him interning with the Federal Aviation Adminstration, attaining his pilot's license, and counseling developmentally challenged adults. I would cite more examples but then I might have to go throw up.... The job they are applying for pays $35K a year -- all of the candidates are over-qualified for what the job entails.... Good grief, I think I'm starting to empathize with Tanya Harding.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?