<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Oh, oh Mitt..... Our Massachusetts governor in name only, Mitt Romney, has been making preliminary rounds to test the presidential waters. Does he have a chance? I doubt it, due to what I call the M&M factor: not only does he have to overcome the stigma of being from the 'M' state, he also has to be willing to talk about the fact that he comes in as a Mormon... Bet his PR folks aren't too happy to hear about HBO's next big series about a Mormon dad who juggles life with his three wives...

In Sunday's NY Times Real Estate section is an article that touts affordable properties if one is willing to try some out-of-the-way places. Quote: "I think the biggie in Eastern Europe is Bulgaria...." adding that it has magnificent beaches as well as mountains for skiing that "you can live like a king on $10,000 a year." Yes and there is a reason for its cheapness -- it's Bulgaria -- a backward country that is the backwash of the old communist regimes....

Toggling Tastebuds. For decades I have been an ardent fan of Chardonnay. But a few weeks ago I came home to my chilled glass of Clos du Bois (or whatever the reasonably priced Chardonnay of the evening was) and choked. There is something too heavy about it now for my taste. I want a wine less narcissistic. One that after every sip doesn't scream "Here I am!" An aftertaste of buttery, oaky, whatever. Perhaps it was our week-long jaunt in Styria last September that changed my tastes. The Austrian wines are now exemplary (particularly their Gruener Veltliner and Sauvignon Blancs) -- they have all the dryness I like but with but just a quick spank of taste that doesn't compete with my conversation, or what I'm eating, or reading, or doing at the time. At the moment we are drinking a Spanish wine I discovered at our local grocery store that costs all of $6 a bottle (Osborne Solaz 2004 -- Blanco Viura). From a taste perspective this wine is in fact a bit dangerous. It's dry and light as water...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?