<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, August 11, 2005

Neighborhood Networking. We hosted the summer block party in order to get to know the new neighbors better. Fortunately the State House gives me access to the 'snoop log' a.k.a. the last 2001 census that lists names, addresses, occupations, and AGE (my favorite part). In this way I was able to pretend to remember everyone's names from earlier introductions. The quasi outdated census book was only about four families off (including us) which would be by Californian standards a miracle! Like, who stays anywhere three years? The neighbors across the way have lived in the same house for forty-five years. He invented marshmallow fluff. She is listed as AT HOME. A lovely couple. Republican but lovely. The rest of the neighborhood is registered Democrat and runs the gambit -- well, in a consistent New England insular-town-kind-of-way. There is an invisible page that we all seem to be on given our choice of living in this neighborhood. There is a lot of talk of quiet, trees, and sanctuary. This can only mean one thing. Good god.

It's Already Started. I gave a tour of our property to a friend of mine and before I could stop the blurt, commented what a perfect 'play house' my tool shed on the hill would make if I ever had grandchildren. Jesus I'm only 45... It's a good thing this friend will keep me busy pinching baby cheeks for a while. But I can already picture a skylight looking up to the trees, hammock-like bunkbeds with a wondrous play area below, flashlights and giggling...

I also found myself giving some very nice jewelry away to the daughter the other day following a shopped-till-we-dropped day of finding her college apparel for 2005/2006. She looks fabulous in autumn colors and bought a taupe-colored dress that would wash most people out to pale blahness but on her looks stunning. So I gave her a chunky topaz ring that had belonged to my aunt. A gorgeous piece. Taupe. It always elicited oohs and ahhs whenever I wore it. And I gave it away... 'It's your turn to look gorgeous for the world,' I said. 'I'll be out in the garden weeding.' Oh don't worry guys. I still have a vivid imagination. Who needs a topaz?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?