<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, August 08, 2005

Just a Mensch. Peter Jennings was for many years my favorite newscaster -- at least back in the days when I watched TV on a semi-regular basis (as opposed to almost not at all now). He was good-looking, classy, and presented the news in such a way that didn't smother you with ego. At the end maybe he wasn't so much my favorite and that probably had to do with the fact, superficial as it was, that all the make-up in the world couldn't hide that he was just a mensch like everybody else getting older. His whatever-it was-that-made-Peter-Jennings Peter Jennings was fading. And little did we know that he was so sick. But damn he came through during 9/11: 60 hours of non-stop grueling coverage he did. The daughter didn't even know who I was talking about when I mentioned his death this morning. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?