<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 21, 2005

More Madness. The boss and I agreed to rendezvous at 5:15 p.m. in front of his district business so I could hand off some citations he needed for an event the following morning. Mind you his district business is located in a section of city full of heroin addicts and homeless... Knowing he would probably be late (and sure enough he was), I thought I'd do something useful while waiting around. So I got out of the Audi and started re-packing a box of extra clothes I needed to ship to the daughter down in D.C. 'You givin' those clothes away?' says a man walking by. 'Ah, no.....' He looked like he wanted to say something else but walked on. This Ann Taylor-dressed, 40-something woman cutting packing tape with her teeth out on a dimly-lit, rough-neighborhood sidewalk devoid of any apparent reason why she should be there doing this in the first place was perfectly safe. Would-be muggers like predictability, not a victim who appears to be completely mad!

The boss was complaining to me the other day how 'his business in the district is going down the tubes.' From year to year it's getting slower and slower. He wanted to know if I had any ideas or thoughts. I told him that even if his city eventually gets around to finishing the downtown rejuvination project, his business is still going to have its problems and the reason being is that it's always half-full of a bunch of the city's Old Guard a.k.a. scruffy old white guys trying desperately to hang onto their power base and constantly complaining about how the city is changing. 'Your Vietnamese, Latino, and Russian immigrants don't feel welcome there. And certainly the bohemian gay community who would be the most likely to buy into the downtown artist lofts the city is building aren't going to come to your place. Not after you voted against gay marriage. And you can't sustain your business with your existing customer base. They're a dying breed. Literally. Hire a Latino employee!' I told him. 'That might help....Or if you want to pay me on the side to re-package your image, I'll be glad to give it a go.' (no more... Oh Anna do you think you could do a couple of projects for me on State House time.....)



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?