<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Mango Chutney. Gourmet Cook in San Francisco sent me a recipe for mango chutney per my request. What I essentially said was this: 'Look, I'm a disaster cook. I'd like to do just one thing in the kitchen kick-ass, and your mango chutney that I ate by the spoonfuls last time I was visiting the mother in SF was it. 'OK,' she said. 'It's easy enough. Just peeling the mangos is somewhat of a pain.' I figure I am doomed for failure in my endeavor to re-create her chutney given that any time a really good cook says, 'It's easy enough; I only threw together two ingredients to make this really fabulous pasta,' well then you pretty much can be assured of wet, blah noodles or shitty-tasting mango chutney.

Trail for the Ingredients. In spite of three gas-guzzling treks to different supermarkets in-and-around Boston, not one carried BALL wide-mouthed canning/pickling jars. Not one. Wow if that's not a reflection of lifestyle change. This glitch to my plans was completely bumming me out given that Stop & Shop was offering mangos two for $1. I started looking online for pickling jars when a trip to New Hampshire this weekend distracted my intentions outright.

Good Ole' New Hampshirites. We've been renting a little cabin in North Conway, New Hampshire with another couple going on twelve years. The cabin is not retro-60's; it is 60's i.e. almost nothing has changed. There is still a golden-avocado shag carpet throughout. The kitchen cabinets are painted harvest gold to match the harvest-gold linoleum floor. Well you get the picture... But even at this pituresque lake-side cabin, change has infiltrated itself into the perfectly-quiet remote of this retreat. About seven years ago the owner brought in a TV. OK... We went years (romantically) without a T.V. but once there we of course watched it. Next winter we had a TV in the downstairs kid suite. Great. Rather than the kids upstairs with us watching TV, they went downstairs to watch their TV. Then the coughing Hoover got replaced by a used Meile. Uh, oh.... This year a very old COMPUTER now sits in the corner of the living room with a note, "Dear Anna and Hubby: User Name: Guest, Password: Guest." Just what I need. A techie hubby coming up to New Hampshire for a little relaxation to now have an antiquated thirteen-inch-screen computer with dial-up modem to tempt him. Hello 1-800 Victoria Secret, could you please provide me with flannel sexy undergarments...?

Bravo New Hampshire Super Shaw's. Having lost the coin toss, I bumped down the dirt road to get wine, Tenacitin, and a Sunday newspaper. Good thing too because what do you think the New Hampshire Super Shaw's has a whole shelf-worth's of? BALL-wide-mouth canning jars of course. $3.99 later, I had twelve 8 oz. jars. At home I already had all of the ingredients save the mangos. But what's this? Mangos on sale 3 for $1. Oh yeah...


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?