<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 20, 2004

Supply and Demand = the worth of things.... No one seems to bat an eyelash anymore at paying $1.25 for nine meager ounces of bottled water. That, my friends, is what happens when a world population of 6,394,000,000 starts competing vigorously for what is becoming a very precious commodity indeed. I envision that just about the time we've sucked up the last dinosaur fossil, the water-rich countries will be decrying the imperialistic intentions of water-thirsty nations who will suddenly begin demonstrating a keen interest in their 'liberation.'

Speaking of worth. How about walking by a yard sale on my dog walk and picking up two brand new Crate & Barell hammered brass lamps (with a retail value of $215 each) for five bucks a piece? I gave the guy the two dollars I had in my pocket (to buy a bottled water) as a deposit and went by later to pick them up. This phenomenon is called two singles marrying and having only a finite amount of room for so-and-so many Crate & Barell lamps the one or the other has purchased on a whim. I wonder if the lamps were his or hers.... I'm guessing his.

I suppose equally baffling to many would be the idea of spending $25 for five rather-regular-roundish-rocks -- another one of yesterday's expenditures. Why? A previous owner to our house must have decided that only North Carolina rocks would do for the low retaining-border in the garden as opposed to the quarry-full of available (and cheap) rocks located right here in Massachusetts. Absolutely absurd really. But what's a woman with North Carolina rocks in her garden to do? I know, I know. Find the rocks she's lost from her head and use those. Nonetheless I forked over the money:

"Oh come on," I complained. Twenty-five bucks for rocks?"
"I have to pay for my new boat," he smiled.
"I have to pay college expenses," I suggested.
"Nice Rolex," he replied.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?