<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, September 23, 2004

A pleasant and breezy seventy-eight degrees Fahrenheit. A crystal-clear view to the Boston skyline. A reservoir at the foot of the hill to watch the egrets and blue herons. And Anna Bloviation's, the sun worshipper, sitting with a colleague on lounge chairs from ten until four watching most of 140 men make fools of themselves trying to get a ball into a hole on the fourteenth. In addition I made them all pay to do it. For five bucks, they got a chance at half of the the evening raffle kitty if they made it onto the green. Only ten of them did so.

The day was only slightly marred by the wise-cracking 6th hole, whose volunteers thought it would be funny if they promised that the players buying a ticket for that hole's contest could redeem it for a kiss at ours. So along came 140 golfers of Italian or Irish politically-incorrect descent looking for Anna or Lainey. The old timers were fun to tease around with. It was the sleazy lobbyists that took more doing as they seemed to really believe they were entitled to a kiss.

I'd like to think I was a good mentor to my young single colleague who watched me one by one deflate the would-be hopefuls of their leaching aspirations (while still keeping them in good enough spirits to fork over money for the 50/50 contest we were overseeing). Not that they gave up easily. At least not the lobbyists who all seem to have a very hard time taking no for an answer and which is why I suppose they get the big bucks. One told me he would split the $360 kitty he had just won with me for a kiss. I leaned in towards him and whispered, "There isn't enough money on the planet that I would give you a kiss." Then an upwards gleaming crescent of pearly white to make him wonder if I really meant it or not. This is a key element to the insult given that I do have to work with these people on a daily basis...

The ring leader on the 6th was a bit surprised that we took in more cash than they did at the end of the day. Our rectitudinous behavior prevailed over their lasciviousness! Tee hee. And a very big wink. And thanks Ann Taylor. You provide excellent camouflage....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?