<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Conversation at the Audi Dealership:

Audi Service Rep: "I'm awfully sorry. Your paperwork doesn't match up with any of the tagged keys hanging here. I just don't know where they could have put your keys. Do any of them look like they might be yours?"

I stare bewildered at twenty identical black Audi keys and shake my head no. An additional ten minutes staring at them proves an unsuccessful endeavor. Desperate, we grab a bunch of keys out of the box, go out to the parking lot, and start hitting the panic buttons to see if any get my car alarm going. Nothing. We walk back inside.

"This is terrible. I'm so sorry, says the service rep. "We'll give you a free rental today and get this all straightened out tomorrow when the other service reps are in."

The son is with me and I ask him to go out to his car to get my purse so we can do up the paperwork. "Sure Mom." The service rep turns a shade red. She smiles. "Gosh," she says after the son has gone outside. "Did he just call you mom? I'm not even going to tell you what I was thinking..."

"Well," I say. "We have Demi Moore to thank for that. Believe me you wouldn't have been thinking what you were thinking ten years ago."

"Yes, I suppose you're right." After a pause she says, "I don't understand all of these older women going after younger men these days. I mean what do you talk about with someone twenty years younger than you?"

"You don't," I answer. "That's the point."

I spared my son this dialogue between me and the Audi woman. He would have been understandably mortified. And I certainly have no intention of giving him any excuse not to accompany me on errands now and again. After all, one of the few redeeming benefits of having a nineteen-year-old college son is the fact that they have nineteen-year-old muscles equipped to effortlessly lug heavy things around for you.

Note to self: continue buying the Estee Lauder Resilience Life Extra-Firming Revitalizing Mask daughter gave me for Christmas.

Second note to yours truely: quit deluding yourself...

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?