<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

YOU MAKE THE CALL: Someone pointed out that my black eye analogy is flawed i.e. "Her right eye is a gothic purple-and-black stain; she looks like Tammy Baker caught outside in a rainstorm" for the reason that false eyelashes don't run when they get wet. She may have a point but I think Tammy put mascara ON TOP of her fake eyelashes...in which case the analogy would still be ok.

YMTC: A group of girls at the local high school are slated for suspension for having dressed up as 'Freshmen' on Halloween. The T-Shirts they wore read: Freshman Class 2007. I should add that the Brittany Spears show-all T-shirts were about two sizes too small as were the shorts. To complete the outfit they wore knee pads and had condoms sticking out of their pockets. A crude senior joke? Perhaps. But in every parody lies a grain of truth (even the local newspaper recently ran a story about middle school promiscuity...). Would you suspend the seniors because they were insinuating that the freshman girls are sluts? How about the boy who dresses up as Mafioso? Or the girl in the 'dumb' blond get-up. Where do you draw the line? I think next year for Halloween I'm going to dress up as an S.U.V. " and plaster bumper stickers all over me that say things like "Ask Me What I'm Doing for the Planet?" Do you think I might offend someone?

EVERYTHING IS UNDER CONTROL -- Since the Legislators came back from summer recess the end of August, there has been exactly ONE formal session held. So if you have been trying to reach your Rep or Senator here in Massachusetts for the last few months, you have liekly been hearing that he/she is out 'working in the district.' This means that your state representative is probably home paying his bills and that your government is being run by Legislative Aides much like myself i.e. the world according to Anna.... Don't worry, the state has neither money to embezzle nor any to help the many good causes near and dear to my heart. Given how slow things are right now, I should have a NY Times bestseller sequel to War and Peace out in the bookstores by the December Christmas rush.

BRASH MOVE -- I just sent an email to Pierre Ferrari and Christopher Mackin, Chairman of the Board and CEO respectively of XSweat to congratulate them on their new business venture. Mr. Ferrari used to be Senior VP of Coca-Cola, US. Mr. Mackin President and founder of Ownership Associates:

Dear Mr. Ferrari and Mr. Mackin,

I just finished Robert Ito's article, Sewing Dignity, in the November/December issue of Orion Magazine on my train ride back from the city this evening and would like to congratulate you both on challenging the prevailing sweatshop paradigm. You have inoculated this hitherto disgraceful industry with a shot of consciousness-raising that I hope will be the new model for all clothing manufacturing in the future.

The SweatX (TM) website says that your line of clothes is 'aimed at the college market.' This makes perfect sense for all of the right marketing reasons, and I certainly won't insult you by throwing in Marketing-101 diatribe to elaborate further (particularly given your credentials vs. mine). I do, however, have a request! Should you become as phenomenally successful as I hope you will, can your next line of clothing be for sassy, 40-something idealistic liberals who want to save the world's inhabitants whether they want it or not? While gym-buffed, I don't think I could get away with wearing your X-logo t-shirt to work (I'm more the Ann Taylor/J. Crew look with a pinch of carefully cultivated edge).

BLACKED OUT -- [Here I introduce my top-secret business idea that I am hoping their Hot Fudge Social Venture Fund will finance].

Thank you again for your courage and out-of-the-box creativity in launching the innovative SweatX concept. I hope this idea will usher in an overall change in how consumers buy products. I wish you the very best of luck.

Sincerely,

Anna [xxx]




Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?