<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 16, 2003

I just came across my daughter's high school senior Political Process quiz and thought I would share the questions with my readers. The students were given one period to complete this test -- complete sentences and specific examples were required throughout:

1) An informed citizenry is necessary in a democracy. Why? give specific examples.

2) What problems/concerns do TV stations and newspapers have to consider in carrying out the responsibility of "informing citizens" in question #1? Give examples.

3) Based on what you are aware of, how would you vote in the California recall vote/ election on October 7th. Why? (At least 2 serious reasons)

4) Why do some newspapers put the comic strip Doonesbury on the editorial page?

5) How important are circulation, ratings, market share in the business of media? Why? Give examples.

6) On Sept, 11, 2001 there was almost round-the-clock coverage of events. Why was this create [not my typo] a major problem for networks/stations? An opportunity?

7) Many believe "impeachment" removes a President from office. What would you say to inform a person about how a President is removed from office?

8) a. What is a primary election? b. A general election? c. When (specifically) are general elections held in the US?

9) Pick two: Define/Identify and tell WHY each is IMPORTANT: ombudsman, anchor persons, demographics, editorial/op-ed pages, a share of stock, a subsidy, conference committee (in a legislature), extradition, injunction, punch card ballot, New York Stock Exchange, Profiling

10) Cartoon Analysis (there is a picture of Massachusetts Governor Romney carrying a lab coat that has on it the lettering "Scientific Proof." He says to an executioner wearing a t-shirt that reads 'Death Penalty,' "You'd look much better in a lab coat.") Answer the following: a. Who drew the political cartoon? For what paper? b. What objects and/or people do you see in the cartoon? c. What is the message of the cartoon?

I think this teacher has A.D.D. quite frankly. He is all over the place. And I don't know about you but I get exhausted just reading the questions here. Nonetheless, this is the kind of test I would have easily aced in my day. It's perfect for those who excel at pithy bullshit. If, on the other hand, you had asked me to solve an algebraic equation or differential, forget it... In fact I used to get so nervous prior to a math test that I carried around a little dispenser of talcum powder that I would rub on my hands so that the pencil wouldn't slip out of my sweaty palms.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?